Difference between a Line input and a Mic input?FAQ #1970
Question:1) What is the difference between a LINE input and a MIC input?
2) What devices can be attached to each type?
3) What are the positives and negatives of each input? ie. Distance?
4) What are the positives and negatives of each device?
Here are brief answers:
1) The voltage level of the signal. A line level signal is at least 50 dB greater than a mic level signal.
2) Wired and wireless mics are typically connected to mic level inputs. Most other audio devices are line level.
3) Line level signals, being much stronger in level, can travel miles without degradation.
4) What are the positives and negatives of each device? * What device? Mic level and line level refer to signal levels, not a type of device.
Mic Level and Line Level -- What do they mean?