Help! I forgot to take my Shure earphones out of my jeans pocket, and they were washed. Have I destroyed my Shure earphones that I love?
The odds are in your favor. Shure earphones often survive a trip through a washing machine. Here are the steps to take after discovering the newly washed earphones:
- Dry the earphones thoroughly with a soft towel.
- Remove the foam/rubber/elastic nozzle sleeves and let them air dry.
- Shake the earphones to remove water droplets.
- Let the earphones air dry for 48 hours.
- Do not speed the drying by using a clothes dryer, a hair dryer, or any other type of forced hot air.
- Drying time can be reduced by storing the earphones in a small container that has a desiccant (moisture absorber) packet in it. Typically such a packet has blue crystals of silica gel. Note: These desiccant packets can be used indefinitely if they are dried out in an oven at low heat.
- Uncooked rice can also be used as a dessicant. The earphones can be placed directly into a small bag of rice granules. The rice will absorb moisture and give the earphones a delightful sushi aroma.
If the earphones do not work after following the above steps, please contact Shure Service in the United States, or the Shure agent for your country if outside of the United States.