Is there a way to reliably know when a Shure microphone was manufactured?
The short answer is "no." Having manufactured microphones since the early 1930s, there have been scores of different serial number schemes and manufacturing date codes. Unfortunately, many of these have been lost to history.
Here are four helpful hints:
- If the mic is labeled "Chicago, Illinois", it was manufactured before 1956.
- If the mic is labeled "Evanston, Illiniois" it was manufactured in 1956 or later.
- If the serial number reads "5723", the mic was manufactured in the 23rd week of 1957.
- Check the date of the User Guide: View All User Guides.
- Check when it appears in Shure Catalogs.