What is the difference between the KSM44A and the KSM44?
The KSM44A was introduced in July 2010. Here are the primary differences:
- The KSM44A has a lower noise floor: 3 dB less in Cardioid pattern; 4 dB less in Omni pattern; 2.5 dB less in Bidirectional pattern.
- The KSM44A maximum output level before clipping is 2 dB greater into a 2,500 ohm load, and 5 dB greater into a 1,000 ohm load.
- Depending upon the directional pattern selected, the KSM44A dynamic range is 4 to 6 dB better into a 2,500 ohm load, and 7 to 9 dB better into a 1,000 ohm load.
- The KSM44A "Cristal" finish is not as dark as the KSM44 "Champagne" finish.
- The KSM44A shock mount (A44ASM) and the KSM44A stand mount (A44AM) have the lighter "Cristal" finish. Both mounts have the locking feature that secures the KSM44A mic to the mount.
- The KSM44A is supplied with an extra set of elastic bands (RK383) for the A44ASM shock mount.
- KSM44A frequency response and timbral quality are the the same as the KSM44.
Like the KSM44, the KSM44A is supplied with a shock mount (A44ASM), a stand mount (A44AM), a velveteen storage pouch (A44AVB), and an aluminum carrying case (A44ASC).