I would like to start a home studio using a upper-end condensor microphone to mic vocals and strings. I am interested in the KSM44 condensor microphone or possibly the KSM27 for studio and live performances.
1. I have a very powerful computer at home and I am wondering what I need to run a home studio besides a nice condensor microphone and computer?
2. What software do I need to run?
3. Do I need a mixer if I am running a condenser for vocals and instruments?
4. Are there home studio packages for sale with software and condensor microphone?
1. You will require a high quality microphone preamp with phantom power, like: http://www.rane.com/ms1b.html
2. Shure does not make software for home recording. We do know that ProTools is a very popular program.
3. You will need a mixer if you plan to use more than one microphone at a time.
4. Cannot recommend "package" sales of home studios. Pick and choose the best equipment.
Also read: Microphones and Multitracks; Microphone Techniques for Music - Studio Recording MP3: Getting Your Music from the Garage to the Web
Available at: Educational Articles - Online Booklets and Bulletins