Cartridge alignment gauge or protractor

FAQ #2242 Updated October 23, 2017


It seems that the reason why most people are turned off to phonograph records these days is that most of the excellent equipment for playback is just too expensive and is not sold in your average stereo store. I have just bought the Technics SL1200M3D and seems to be the only good model that the average stereo store is selling these days, but even for that I had to search all around to find a store that had it in stock. The question I have is about cartridge set-up. It seems that what makes or breaks good sound production from a good turntable system is the alignment of the cartridge when it is mounted on the headshell. Most stereo stores do not have the equipment anymore to mount the cartridge on the headshell. They don't have the foggiest idea of what I am talking about because to them this is old obsolete technology. I am looking for a good cartridge alignment gauge or protractor. I ask most stereo stores if they sell this and they can't even refer me to a place that even sells them. I know they can be quite expensive because they are precision made and are not mass produced. I was wondering if you sell or make such a product and if not is there some company or dealer you can refer me to that does sell such a product.


Shure does not sell an alignment gauge or protractor. We do sell a force gauge, the SFG-1.

We suggest you contact a specialist in LP accessories:

The Record King
303 Main Street
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Telephone: 201-488-4232

Find an Answer

Related Product Types


Contact Information

Telephone: (800) 516-2525

Fax: (847) 600-8686

Additional Support

Ask a Question