I had a question about age of the product. I have an old 55S, but can't seem to determine what year it was manufactured. Also, there seems to be a difference in models produced from 1951-1971 and those produced after 1971. What is the difference? When was the line discontinued?
- There is no definitive way to determine the year of manufacture nor does Shure offer that service.
- There is no definitive list of the product differences over the years.
- The model 55SH Series II is still made.
- The model 55S was last sold in 1978 for $84; first sold in 1951 for $72.
- View the data sheet here: http://pubs.shure.com/view/guide/Model-55S-1951/en-US.pdf
- Shure does not offer opinions on the values of vintage microphones. Value is determined by the collectors willing to buy the mic.