The Shure SM81 is a high-quality, unidirectional condenser microphone designed for studio recording, broadcasting, and sound reinforcement. Its wide frequency response, low noise characteristics, and low RF susceptibility have made it a standard for applications involving acoustic instruments, especially guitar, piano, and cymbals.
- Microphone Types
Lightweight, sensitive diaphragm. Precisely and smoothly captures sound nuances. Powered by battery or phantom power supply.
- Polar Patterns
Picks up the most sound in front of the microphone and some from the sides. Less susceptible to feedback in high volume environments.
- Frequency Responses
Wide, uniform response. Consistent sensitivity through frequency range.
- Form Factors
- Model Lines
- SM Microphone Product Brochure (PDF)
- SM81 Specification Sheet (PDF)
- Related Links
- FAQ's for SM81
- Compare in Mic Listening Lab
The SM81 is ruggedly constructed. It operates on phantom power and performs over a wide range of temperatures and humidity conditions. It is furnished with a swivel adapter, attenuator-switch lock, foam windscreen, and case for carrying and storage. Other accessories are available.
- 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency response
- Flat response curve for accurate reproduction of sound sources
- Low noise and high output clipping level
- Low distortion over a wide range of load impedances
- Cardioid polar pattern, uniform with frequency and symmetric about axis, providing maximum rejection and minimum coloration of off-axis sounds
- Low RF susceptibility
- Selectable low-frequency response: flat, 6 or 18 dB/octave rolloff
- 0 dB/10 dB lockable attenuator switch
- Phantom powering (DIN 45 596 voltages of 12 to 48 Vdc)
- Rugged steel construction for durability
- Field-usable over wide range of temperature and humidity conditions
- Condenser (electret bias)
- Frequency Response
- 20 to 20,000 Hz
- Polar Pattern
- Cardioid (unidirectional) response-uniform with frequency, symmetrical about axis
Works with Beta 181, KSM137, KSM141, SM63, SM63L, SM63LB, SM81, VP64A, VP64AL, MX412, MX418, MX412S, MX418S, MX412SE, and the MX418SE microphones and standard microphone stands.
Where To Buy
Cartridge and Grille Assembly for SM81 Microphone
Where To Buy
Reduces unwanted breath and wind noise. For use with the Shure end address microphones such as the Shure SM81, and SM57. Available in gray.
Where To Buy
- User Guides
File Language Type File Size SM81 User Guide English, French, German, Italian, Spanish 1.37 mb