The Shure SM81 is a high-quality, unidirectional condenser microphone designed for studio recording, broadcasting, and sound reinforcement. Its wide frequency response, low noise characteristics, and low RF susceptibility have made it a standard for applications involving acoustic instruments, especially guitar, piano, and cymbals.
Listen in the Shure Mic Lab
Listen to and compare instruments and vocal recordings from a wide selection of Shure microphones
The SM81 is ruggedly constructed. It operates on phantom power and performs over a wide range of temperatures and humidity conditions. It is furnished with a swivel adapter, attenuator-switch lock, foam windscreen, and case for carrying and storage. Other accessories are available.
- 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency response
- Flat response curve for accurate reproduction of sound sources
- Low noise and high output clipping level
- Low distortion over a wide range of load impedances
- Cardioid polar pattern, uniform with frequency and symmetric about axis, providing maximum rejection and minimum coloration of off-axis sounds
- Low RF susceptibility
- Selectable low-frequency response: flat, 6 or 18 dB/octave rolloff
- 0 dB/10 dB lockable attenuator switch
- Phantom powering (DIN 45 596 voltages of 12 to 48 Vdc)
- Rugged steel construction for durability
- Field-usable over wide range of temperature and humidity conditions
|Type||Condenser (electret bias)|
|Frequency Response||20 to 20,000 Hz|
|Polar Pattern||Cardioid (unidirectional) response-uniform with frequency, symmetrical about axis|
Additional specifications are available in the user guide.
A57F Microphone ClipWorks with Beta 181, KSM137, KSM141, SM63, SM63L, SM63LB, SM81, VP64A, VP64AL, MX412, MX418, MX412S, MX418S, MX412SE, and the MX418SE microphones and standard microphone stands.
A81WS Large Foam Microphone WindscreenReduces unwanted breath and wind noise. For use with the Shure end address microphones such as the Shure SM81, and SM57. Available in gray.
R104 Cartridge for SM81Cartridge and Grille Assembly for SM81 Microphone
Cleaning foam rubber from SM81
That foam has become a problem over the decades. It even "melted" onto th...
SM81 on Electric Guitar Amplifier use?
You will not damage the SM81 with high SPL, but it might produce a distorted signal. Sugg...
Mic for amplifing live classical guitar
1. Gain before feedback involves the entire sound system, not just the mic. 2. Recommende...
Miking a banjo and small guitar
Any reason you have to mount the mic on the instrument? This leads to lots of mechanical noise...
Classical Guitar Mic
Before you make any buying decision, please read the following: MICROPHONE TECHNIQUE FOR ...
Live performance mic for acoustic guitar
We suggest you consider these models: Premimum: KSM141 Best: SM81 Better: SM94 Good...
Get Live Support
Instructional articles, guides, demos and more! Our experts offer industry-proven tips and tricks to help you get the most from your gear.
Service & Repair
Detailed policy information regarding customer service numbers, service modifications, and replacement parts.