Condenser Microphone TypeLightweight, sensitive diaphragm. Precisely and smoothly captures sound nuances. Powered by battery or phantom power supply.
Bidirectional Polar PatternPicks up sound equally from the front and back of the microphone.
Cardioid Polar PatternPicks up the most sound in front of the microphone and some from the sides. Less susceptible to feedback in high volume environments.
VP88 Stereo Condenser Microphone
The Shure Model VP88 is a single-point, stereo condenser microphone for use in professional studio recording, field production, electronic news gathering (ENG), and studio broadcasting applications. It combines two condenser cartridges in a single housing to create a stereo audio image of the sound source. It is unique in its ability to capture the realism of a live event and yet withstand rigorous field production environments.
One cartridge (Mid) faces forward to capture on-axis sound using a cardioid pickup pattern. The other cartridge (Side) is bi-directional, capturing sound from either side. The VP88 contains an internal M-S matrix with three settings for different degrees of stereo image separation. The internal matrix can be bypassed if an external matrix is used or if stereo imaging is done in post-production.
- Time-coherent, Mid-Side (M-S) design for optimal stereo imaging
- Built-in stereo matrix for direct control of the stereo spread; direct M-S outputs available
- Mono compatibility ideal for broadcast applications
- Low noise and distortion
- Wide dynamic range
- Switch-selectable, low-frequency rolloff (12 dB/octave below 80 Hz) for reduced pickup of ambient noise & stand vibration
- Operates on phantom power or a 6V camera battery
- LED power indicator
- Internal shock mount for reduced stand vibration and handling noise
- Built-in "pop" screen
- Includes windscreen, swivel adapter, and Y-cable
Single-point stereo (MS configuration) condenser
- Frequency Response
40 to 20,000 Hz
- Polar Pattern
Mid Cartridge: Cardioid (unidirectional); Side Cartridge: Bidirectional
Rated at 150 (100 ohms actual). Recommended minimum load impedance: 800 ohms (may be used with loads as low as 150 ohms with reduced clipping level)
- Output Level
Open Circuit Voltage: -66 dB* (0.5 mV) Mid. (Side level 1.6 dB higher than Mid level) *0 dB=1 V/Pa*
- Phantom power required?
File Language Type File Size VP88 User Guide English, French, German, Italian, Spanish 384 kb