This premium side-address, cardioid condenser microphone features a large dual-diaphragm capsule, optimized for world-class vocal recording and performance applications. With a tailored frequency response and extensive internal and external pop filtering, the single-pattern, dual-diaphragm design of the KSM42, featuring Prethos® Advanced Preamplifier Technology exhibits an exceptionally smooth proximity control and ultra-wide dynamic range. The KSM42 is the premier choice for capturing sophisticated, powerful and intimate vocal performances.
A milestone achievement in sound reinforcement, Prethos Advanced Preamplifier Technology employs transparent internal circuitry architectures that enable unprecedented audio quality and performance.
- Highly consistent cardioid polar pattern creates a broad “sweet spot” and natural off-axis response
- Prethos® Advanced Preamplifier Technology exhibits extremely low self-noise with superior dynamic range, transient response and ultra-low distortion for transparent recording
- Dual-diaphragm design with an active front, ultra thin (2.5 micron) 24-karat gold, low mass, 1-inch Mylar® diaphragm
- Passive back diaphragm delivers exceptional control of low frequency proximity effect
- Tailored low-frequency roll-off minimizes low frequency room noise
- Integrated three-stage mesh grille guards against wind and breath noise
- Open cage ShureLock® rubber suspension shock mount with low-profile Popper Stopper™ magnetic pop filter produces a natural space between performer and microphone
- Extremely low self noise for critical studio vocal recording
- Premium electronic components and gold-plated internal and external connectors
- Durable zinc die-cast housing and hardened low carbon steel grille
- Internal shock mount to reduce unwanted handling and stand noise
|Type||Dual-Diaphragm, Front-Active, Externally Biased Condenser|
|Frequency Response||60 to 20,000Hz|
|Phantom power required?||11 to 52 Vdc phantom, 6 mA|
Additional specifications are available in the user guide.
A42ORSet of 4 Suspension Mount O-Rings for use with KSM42.
A42PF PopperStopper™ Magnetic Pop FilterPopperStopper™ Magnetic Pop Filter attenuates unwanted breath noise and plosives. Works with KSM42.
A42SMShureLock® Rubber Suspension Shock Mount. Works with KSM42.
A42VBProtective Velveteen Pouch. Works with KSM42.
AK42CZippered carrying case for KSM42.
from $69Product Reviews
Read what people think about the KSM42.
It’s refreshing to see a company... Read full text on the Everything Audio Network blog
The KSM line represents Shure’s premium... Read full text on Tape Op
File Language Type File Size Broadcast & Media Production Brochure English 4.77 mb KSM Microphone Product Brochure English 1.91 mb
File Language Type File Size KSM42 Specification Sheet English 386 kb
File Language Type File Size KSM42 User Guide
KSM32 and A42 Accessories
KSM32 and KSM42 are identical in size. A42 accessories will fit KSM32. &...
Other Mics with the A42PF or A42SM
Sorry, the A27SM shock mount will not accommodate the A42PF pop filter. The A42F pop fil...
Dual Diaphragm Design - Control of Proximity Effect
The Shure KSM42 is a cardioid condenser microphone with a dual diaphragm capsule. Traditionall...
Prethos™ Advanced Preamplifer Technology
As of August 2010, Prethos™ Advanced Preamplifier Technology is incorporated in the KSM4...
Mic Level and Line Level -- What do they mean?
Some mixers have switches on the rear panel for setting each input jack or output jack for mic...
Difference between a dynamic and condenser microphone
Dynamic and condenser describe the operating principal used in a microphone. Operating pr...
Get Live Support
Instructional articles, guides, demos and more! Our experts offer industry-proven tips and tricks to help you get the most from your gear.
Service & Repair
Detailed policy information regarding customer service numbers, service modifications, and replacement parts.