BETA 181 Ultra-Compact Side-Address Microphone
BETA 181 Ultra-Compact Side-Address Microphone
The precision-engineered BETA®181 is a versatile condenser instrument microphone with interchangeable polar pattern capsule options.
- Side-address microphone for instrument miking in tight recording and performance spaces
- Condenser cartridge with choice of cardioid, supercardioid, omnidirectional, and bidirectional polar patterns
- Includes BETA 181 with choice of polar pattern, microphone clip, windscreen, zippered carrying case, and user guide
The Shure BETA 181 is an ultra-compact, small-diaphragm side-address condenser microphone, designed for discreet placement and control in live and studio environments. Featuring interchangeable cardioid, supercardioid, omnidirectional and bidirectional capsule options for superior versatility, the small diaphragm design provides superior audio with consistent, textbook polar responses in a form factor small enough to get close to the source in the tightest conditions.
Listen in the Shure Mic Lab
Listen to and compare instruments and vocal recordings from a wide selection of Shure microphones
- Interchangeable polar pattern capsules attach to a compact preamplifier with integrated XLR connections for the ultimate in low-profile application flexibility (Each Beta 181 ships with one polar pattern capsule and one XLR preamplifier. Capsules available separately for custom flexibility.)
- Precision-engineered, compact side-address design features innovative locking ring to provide secure connection between capsule and preamplifier
- Frequency response tailored for wide dynamic range applications for use in high SPL environments
- Furnished with stand adapter, windscreen and carrying case (carrying case will securely protect up to four polar pattern capsules)
- BETA 181/C (cardioid) for drum overhead, piano, acoustic instrument applications, M/S stereo technique (paired with Beta 181/BI)
- BETA 181/S (supercardioid) for snare drum, acoustic instrument, close-miking applications
- BETA 181/O (omnidirectional) for ambient/room, instrument ensemble applications
- BETA 181/BI (bidirectional) for mono drum overhead, dual instrument sound source applications, Blumlein stereo technique (pair of Beta 181/BI)
|Frequency Response||20 to 20,000 Hz|
|Polar Pattern||Cardioid, Supercardioid, Omnidirectional, Bidirectional|
|Phantom power required?||11–52 V DC phantom power (IEC-61938) 2.4 mA, maximum|
Additional specifications are available in the user guide.
A181C Zippered Carrying CaseWorks with Beta 181.
A181WS WindscreenReplacement foam windscreen for use with Beta 181.
A57F Microphone ClipWorks with Beta 181, KSM137, KSM141, SM63, SM63L, SM63LB, SM81, VP64A, VP64AL, MX412, MX418, MX412S, MX418S, MX412SE, and the MX418SE microphones and standard microphone stands.
RPM181/BI Bidirectional Polar Pattern CapsuleBidirectional Polar Pattern Capsule. Works with Beta 181.
RPM181/C Cardioid Polar Pattern CapsuleCardioid Polar Pattern Capsule. Works with Beta 181.
RPM181/O Omnidirectional Polar Pattern CapsuleOmnidirectional Polar Pattern Capsule. Works with Beta 181.
RPM181/PRE Replacement XLR PreamplifierReplacement XLR Preamplifier. Works with Beta 181.
RPM181/S Supercardioid Polar Pattern CapsuleSupercardioid Polar Pattern Capsule. Works with Beta 181.
from $249Product Reviews
BETA 181 Reviews
Read what people think about the Beta 181.
Shure’s truly unique Beta 181 ultra-compact, side-address, condenser microphone is an eye catcher. It attracted more than a few glances upon its debut at last year’s AES Convention in San Francisco, ultimately enough to win a 2010 PAR Excellence Award...
Read full text in ProAudio Review
"The captured stereo image was true, with really nice top-end sheen."
–Butch Jones, Modern Drummer Magazine
Mic Level and Line Level -- What do they mean?
Some mixers have switches on the rear panel for setting each input jack or output jack for mic...
Difference between a dynamic and condenser microphone
Dynamic and condenser describe the operating principal used in a microphone. Operating pr...
Which microphone should I use on ... ? (Selection Guides)
The following are current Shure microphones as of May 2017. Also listen to our online Mic ...
Vintage Shure Catalogs (1933-1984)
// Year Type Size Model numbers ...
Transformers - When to use and how does it work?
Audio Transformers Audio transformers can: 1) Step up (increase) or step down (decrease) a...
How do I wire an XLR to 1/4" adapter cable?
There are many different configurations that can be made between an XLR to 1/4" adapter. ...
Get Live Support
Instructional articles, guides, demos and more! Our experts offer industry-proven tips and tricks to help you get the most from your gear.
Service & Repair
Detailed policy information regarding customer service numbers, service modifications, and replacement parts.