The Shure BETA®91A is designed for use with kick drums, as well as other traditional low-frequency applications including piano. Featuring an updated microphone capsule, integrated preamplifier, and XLR connection, Beta 91A offers a strong low-frequency response and is specifically tailored for bass frequency applications. The Beta 91A combines superior attack and punch for studio-quality sound, even at extremely high sound pressure levels (SPL).
- Uniform half-cardioid polar pattern for maximum gain-before-feedback and rejection of off-axis sound
- Precision-engineered low-profile design features integrated preamplifier and XLR connector to maximize setup efficiency while minimizing stage clutter
- Frequency response tailored for kick drum/low frequency applications with a wide dynamic range for use in high SPL environments
- Two-position contour switch to maximize attack and clarity depending on application: select the flat response setting for natural sound in most applications or the “low-mid scoop” setting for a strong low frequency “punch” with plenty of higher frequency attack
- Requires no external mounting or accessories for ease of use and storage
- Furnished with zipper pouch
|Frequency Response||20 to 20,000 Hz|
|Polar Pattern||Half-cardioid (cardioid in hemisphere above mounting surface)|
Additional specifications are available in the user guide.
BETA 91A Reviews
Read what people think about the Beta 91A.
“[Beta 91A] has exceptional low-frequency reproduction, high SPL handling, and a high output level, which makes it ideal for capturing the kick drum, as well as other low-frequency sound sources.”
–Butch Jones, Modern Drummer
Shure Piano Mic Suggestion
For mounting inside a piano, the best choice is a boundary microphone attached to the undersid...
Which boundary mic for piano?
For piano miking ideas, see page 24 of this link: Microphone Techniques for Music - Sound Rein...
Maximum SPL Specifications for Condenser Microphones
It is calculated. Shure measures the voltage into the microphone internal preamp that cr...
Placement of bass drum mic
The SM91 was a popular bass drum mic (it has been replaced by the Beta 91A). But perhaps it do...
Current replacement for Model SM91
The SM91 had a cardioid polar pattern. The replacement for it depends on your application. ...
Boundary mic for grand piano
The Beta 91A if you require a boundary mic. The SM81 or KSM137 if a boundary mic is not requir...
Get Live Support
Instructional articles, guides, demos and more! Our experts offer industry-proven tips and tricks to help you get the most from your gear.
Service & Repair
Detailed policy information regarding customer service numbers, service modifications, and replacement parts.